måndag 28 september 2015

Post-seminar 3

For this week I prepared by reading the material and finding a research paper in a journal to examine. I also spent some time discussion the concept theory with comrades taking the course which I felt was really helpful for all of us in understanding the concept. At the time of making my first blog post I felt quite sure of the concept of theory as well as identifying theory in the paper I had chosen.


At first I felt unsure whether I would get so much out of the seminar, and while it didn’t really enhance my understanding of theory, I had a really interesting discussion in my group.


We mainly touched on theory and “truth”, which also was discussed in the larger group at the seminar. To me, a theory can be true, but we can never really know if the theory is true since observed occurances can also be a series of exceptions leading one to maybe propose a limited or wrong theory, and we are also limited in our observations by our senses and our mind as discussed in previous seminars.


This also is interesting to me since it leads to the question: can we really ever say that a theory can be true? Since we are limited by our on faculties of knowledge, can we ever propose a theory that can be true, regardless of whether the observed occurances are true or not? Is it a possibility for the human being to formulate a theory that can be true and to what extent?


As stated in the lecture concerning theory, a theory can be considered or be accepted as truth if a majority of experts in the field have tested and accepted it. So even though we can never really objectively consider it as truth, it can be accepted as truth. And indeed, theories that we now consider false have once been considered true, such as the universe revolving around the earth.


One simple explanation of theory is that theory is proposed answer to why an observed phenomena, behavior or occurance has occured. We discussed that if this is true, then how do theories such as quantum physics and string theory fit into this definition since they do not depend on perhaps immediately observable behavior. We concluded that they rely on other theories that in length depend on observable behavior. And all kinds of theories do depend on other theories. Our seminar leader challenged us to find a theory that does not depend or build upon other theories, which I still haven’t.

One subject that was often the topic of our discussions was mathematics, and if mathematics could be considered theory. Since mathematics is synthezised a priori knowledge, it has to depend on learning it first. We concluded that within mathematics there are theories. You need to have theory to make a proof, but unlike observed occurances in the external reality, once a proof is formulated, it can be considered true. Although it can only be true if the fundamentals of mathematics are true, the axioms. So how do we know they are true? Here we were unsure how to continue the discussion, much like Theaetetus and Socrates.

8 kommentarer:

  1. Hej,
    Interesting discussion about truth in connection with theory. My personal thought on it is that theories do not aim at being truths, but that they want to describe as true (or maybe just "valid") as possible at the point of time of their creation. So, that would also be my answer to your question if human beings are able to formulate true theories. It is, for me, more about describing to one's best knowledge. I am not even sure if anything can ever be totally true, not only theories..

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hi,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I especially liked your thoughts if we could ever say that theory is true. As far as I have understood it, you can say that truth is related to the state of knowledge right now. Truth is relative. Furthermore, I enjoyed your discussion about if mathematics could be considered as theory. In our group we discussed that theory is an attempt to explain the causal logic between cause and event. We figured out that hypothesis is a statement or guess for research purpose which tries to explain two variables. In class, we stated that theory is what is practice not. In addition to this, we mentioned Thomas S. Kuhn and his paradigm shift. Great Job!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Hi!
    It seems as if there has been a certain interest for discussing the concept of “truth” in many (including my own) seminar groups. I agree with you that the notion of truth doesn’t necessarily have to have to word objectivity attached to it (as it has when one refers to theories as not being capable of being true due to the arguments you discuss), but that one can view theories as “true” until proven “false” - however I guess all of that is simply a small discourse within a field much greater than that. Furthermore it was interesting to follow your discussion on mathematics and how theories become proofs which then can be considered true - however the reason for this is simply a discourse-related one. Since people acting in the mathematical culture have agreed on that it is these terms that they use to go about their research, it has become household to use the term “truth” without it necessarily being connected to the objective truth which you discussed prior to that, perhaps? Thanks for a great read, keep up the good work!

    SvaraRadera
  4. Hi,
    I think that your reflection was very interesting to read. We also discussed if there are any “absolute truths” during the seminar I attended. I feel like my thoughts on it are similar to what you have written. We will never be absolutely sure that we have found a theory that is true. In other words even if we were to develop a theory that is true we will not have a way of being absolutely certain of it being so. Furthermore I was intrigued by your discussion on that there are no theories that are not built upon other theories. It made me think: “what theory was the first theory that humans developed?”
    Interesting discussions and interesting read!

    SvaraRadera
  5. Thanks for anice wrap up on this theem. I think the discussion of wether theories are true or false and to what extendt we can consider them true is really intresting. As an example we have been forced to modify some theories in the physics to be valid in both space and in the nano technology. Every theory, I would argue, have some limitations or will proably reach a limitation that isn't known yet. However we can say that it is the truth, if we consider truth as something that with a high possiblity is correct. However as discussed in previous seminars I agree with you that we are limited in this because we percept the world and can't view it with total objectivity.

    SvaraRadera
  6. Very nice blog post Anton! I liked reading your thoughts on the subject. I started to think about theories that are no built on other theories and I can't come up with one either. So which was the first theory? What knowledge can we consider true without theories?

    I like that you wrote "we are also limited in our observations by our senses and our mind as discussed in previous seminars." and to me, this is the core of this theme.

    Keep up the good work!

    SvaraRadera
  7. Hello.
    The discovery of how earth revolve around the sun is a really good example of a paradigm shift which we also talked about on the seminar. That paradigm shift made a lot of theories, that were considered true, false at once. Like you are saying, it is hard to know what truth is, since the paradigm can shift. Maybe a priori knowledge is the only knowledge that can be considered absolutely true.
    Cheerio!

    SvaraRadera
  8. Dear Anton!
    The part of your text where you discuss the relation between truth and theory was very well formulated and interesting. You also wove in a bit of Kant it seems (I would guess it was intentional) which made me connect our first theme with this theme much better. Your groups discussion about Mathematics was thought provoking and made me think about the fundamentals of math. It would be interesting to learn more about that, it is probably a very discussed subject.
    Good job!

    SvaraRadera